Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dining Room Table Slipcover (yes, I said TABLE!)


I found this beautiful 110-year old Mahogany Duncan Phyfe table at a yard sale.

With the leaf.
With gorgeous pedestal legs.
With brass clawed feet.
For $75.

The only problem was that the top of the table looked 110 years old.
Its past had seen many a card game, homework, project or dinner 
(where someone forgot to use a coaster).
And I loved that about it. People sharing life over a loved table.
A hub of sharing and family togetherness.

I suppose I could refinish the top.
I have neither the time, nor desire to do so.

So enters the slipcover solution for this piece, for now.



Sure, I could have thrown a tablecloth over the top, but I wanted to see
the legs and the apron.



I sewed elastic to the cover to hold it in place.
I suppose if the cover were a tad wider, the elastic wouldn't show at all,
but it is covered when the chairs are pushed in.


No one at any of our gatherings at this table have complained about the elastic showing.
Oh! I need to dust under here.
Why does the camera always show things that my eyes miss?


Farm Vases and white slipcovers from Ikea.
Roses from Aldi.


The Anaglypta wallpaper came from Lowe's. Link HERE.
Anaglypta is an embossed thick wallpaper that you paint after it is hung.
It is super easy to hang and the seams line up beautifully.







Here's how I did it and what I used:



  • cotton muslin fabric (I got mine at a yard sale for 50 cents!) or any texture/color you like
  • cotton Piping cord (I used 3/8" diameter). See HERE.
  • coordinating fabric for welting
  • kraft paper for template (optional)
  • iron
  • sewing machine
  • thread
  • 1" elastic

Steps:
1. Measure width and length of tabletop. If needed, create a paper template, I just cut my fabric while it was laying on the table. Cut fabric top based on dimensions or template, cutting a pattern larger and leaving the desired (mine was an inch) seam allowance to all edges.
2. Sew welt cording (tutorial below) using strips of the same fabric (or coordinating fabric), enough to go all the way around the table, plus a couple of extra inches. Cover cording with fabric and sew as close to it as possible using a zipper foot along the right side of the fabric. Pin cording to the right side of the top piece of fabric and sew into position.
3. Clip corners. Turn right side out and press.
4. Stitch elastic lengths to underside ends of cover.






If you make one, let me know!



"If you receive a dinner invitation,
you have a moral obligation to be amusing."
~Duchess of Windsor








.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio
My Ping in TotalPing.com