Monday, September 13, 2010

DIY: A Linen Pleated Lampshade








This poor lampshade.


It's too short for this tall lamp.

But, a bigger shade looks strange on such a tall, skinny lamp.

What to do?
Think.
Think.
Think.
I KNOW!!

Make a skirt for the shade!

Go to Hobby Lobby.
Again.
Buy 1/3 yard of nubby linen for $1.12, and heat up the HGG (Hot Glue Gun).



This won't hurt a bit.


Fold over the fabric and glue.


Repeat.
Second verse, same as the first.
Try to avoid your fingernail.
The hot glue gun doesn't not feel good on fingernails.


Fold over and glue again.


All the way around.

Fold last fold over the spot you started.
Put skirt-covered shade on lamp.


Use HGG to tack down the folds. Avoid gluing fingertips to the material.
(My HGG is 22 years old. Anyone else have an older one?)


This is what yours may or may not look like after the folds are glued down.


Looking spiffy, there, my friend!


Let's shorten your skirt a tad.


And glue the selvage down around the top of the shade, and glue a hem around the bottom.
(I obviously need to learn about the camera's focusing capabilities).


Now you can grace the counter in my kitchen.


And not be embarrassed.


In fact, you look quite at home.






I am attending parties at these lovely homes:

Debbiedoos: Before and After

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio
My Ping in TotalPing.com